Bermondsey was first recorded as Vermundesei in around 712, and as Bermundesye in the Domesday Book of 1086. It takes its name from the Old English personal name “Beornmund” and “eg”, meaning island, or area of high and dry ground surrounded by low marsh. The Cluniac Priory and Abbey of St Saviour, or Bermondsey Abbey, was established here in 1082, dissolved by Henry VIII in 1538, and substantially demolished by Thomas Pope, Treasurer of the Court of Augmenations in 1541, to allow for the construction of Bermondsey House, which itself stood until the early nineteenth century. A plaque marks the site of the abbey church. The church of St Mary Magdalen also had its origins in the Medieval period.