Another in the occasional series on churches that survived the Great Fire of 1666 but were rebuilt or demolished subsequently …
St Martin Outwich was originally built sometime before 1291 (it is mentioned in Pope Nicholas IV’s “Taxatio Ecclesiastica” of that year). It was undamaged in the Great Fire of 1666, but severely damaged in a fire of 1765, and rebuilt by Samuel P. Cockerell between 1796-8, only to be demolished in 1874, when the parish was merged with St Helen Bishopsgate (and the dead from the churchyard were reinterred in the City of London Cemetery in East End).
A Corporation “Blue Plaque marks the former site of St Martin’s, on Threadneedle Street.
Late fourteenth- or early fifteenth- century alabaster effigies of Sir John de Oteswich and his wife were salvaged from the church, and still survive, in St Helen’s, on Bishopsgate.