The last in the series on churches that survived the Great Fire of 1666 but were rebuilt or demolished subsequently …
St Alphage London Wall was originally built a little to the north of its present location sometime before 1108, and moved to its present location, on the site of the dissolved priory church of Elsing Spital, in 1536. It was undamaged in the Great Fire of 1666, although substantially rebuilt by William Hillyer in 1777, and further restored by Henry Ling in the early twentieth century. It then fell into disrepair, and indeed was partially demolished, following the merger of the parish with that of St Mary Aldermanbury in 1924, and was substantially destroyed by bombing during the Blitz, with only a partial shell still surviving (together with a photograph of the church taken in around 1907). Alphage, Archbishop of Canterbury, was martyred in 1012, beaten to death by the Danes with the bones of oxen. There is another church dedicated to him in Greenwich.
The church is visited on our “London Wall” standard walk.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Guided Walks” section of this web-site.