Another in the occasional series on churches built by Wren after the Great Fire of 1666 that have been lost since …
St Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange was originally built in the early thirteenth century, badly damaged in the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren in 1675-83, only to be demolished, to allow for the widening of Threadneedle Street and the rebuilding of the Royal Exchange, in 1840. A Corporation “Blue Plaque” marks its former site.
The salvaged pulpit still survives, in the church of St Bartholomew in Craven Hill in Tottenham (having been housed in St Bartholomew Moor Lane until that church was demolished to make way for the extension to the Metropolitan Line in 1902).
The site of the church is visited on our “Lost Wren churches” themed special.