Another in the occasional series on churches built by Wren after the Great Fire of 1666 that have been lost since …
St Benet Fink, Threadneedle Street was originally built in around 1216, burnt down in the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren in 1670-5, only to be demolished, to make way for the rebuilding of the Royal Exchange, in 1841, when the parish was merged with St Peter-le-Poer. A Corporation “Blue Plaque” marks its former site. Some salvaged communion plate still survives, in the church of St Benet Fink in Tottenham. Salvaged paintings of Moses and Aaron, which were formerly part of the altar-piece, ended up in Emmanuel School in Wandsworth.
The site of the church is visited on our “Lost Wren churches” themed special.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Guided Walks” section of this web-site.