Another in the occasional series on churches built by Wren after the Great Fire of 1666 that have been lost since …
St Benet Gracechurch was originally built sometime before 1291, burnt down in the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren in 1681-7, only to be demolished, to allow for road-widening, in 1867-8, when the parish was merged with All Hallows Lombard Street. A Corporation “Blue Plaque” marks its former site. The salvaged seventeenth-century pulpit survives in St Olave Hart Street.
The site of the church is visited on our “Lost Wren churches” themed special.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Guided Walks” section of this web-site.