Another in the occasional series on churches built by Wren after the Great Fire of 1666 that have been lost since …
St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street was originally built around 1181. It was burnt down in the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren in 1683-7, only to be substantially destroyed by another fire in 1886, and subsequently demolished in 1893, when the parish was merged with St Martin Ludgate.
Essentially nothing now remains of the church at its former site. Some salvaged interior fittings survive in St Martin Ludgate, including a plaque of 1586 honouring a benefactor, believed to be Thomas Beri or Berrie. The salvaged font survives in All Hallows-on-the-Wall.
The site of the church is visited on our “Lost Wren churches” themed special.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Guided Walks” section of this web-site.