Another in the occasional series on churches built by Wren after the Great Fire of 1666 that have been lost since …
St Michael Bassishaw was originally built in around 1141, and rebuilt in the fifteenth century. It was burnt down in the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren in 1676-9, only to be allowed to fall into disrepair, and to be declared an unsafe structure in 1892, and demolished in 1900, when the parish was merged with St Lawrence Jewry.
A Corporation “Blue Plaque” marks the former site of the church. The weather-vane salvaged from the church still survives, atop St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe. An early nineteenth-century painting of the church by William Pearson also survives, in the Guildhall Art Gallery. A “Museum of London Archaeology Service” monograph deals with the finds from the church.
The site of the church is visited on our “Lost Wren churches” themed special.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Guided Walks” section of this web-site.