St Stephen Coleman Street was originally built around 1214. It was burnt down in the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren in 1674-81, only to be destroyed by incendiary bombing on 29th December, 1940. Photographs of the church as it was before the War still survive, and a replica of the carved panel depicting the Last Judgement, clearly seen above the entrance gate in one of the photographs, also survives, in the Museum of London.
Nothing of the church remains at its original site, other than some parish boundary markers bearing the insignia of the encircled cockerel. A Corporation “Blue Plaque” marks the site. Apparently Anthony Munday, who continued John Stow’s “Survay”, was buried in the church in 1633, alongside members of the Coleman family who gave it its name.
The site of the church is visited on our “Lost Wren churches” themed special.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Guided Walks” section of this web-site.