On this day in 1582, the Dutchman Pieter Maritz’s London Bridge Waterworks began supplying fresh water from the Thames to private houses in the City of London. His rather rickety-looking apparatus actually worked well, and indeed, in the original demonstration to City officials, forced a jet over the spire of the church of St Magnus the Martyr! It was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, but thereafter replaced by his grandson, and it continued in use, after a fashion, until the early nineteenth century.
London Bridge is visited on various of our walks, including the “Historic Southwark” standard.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Our Guided Walks” section of this web-site.
Bookings may be made through the “Contact/Booking” section of the web-site, by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by phone (020-8998-3051).