Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
Fulham was first recorded in around 705 as Fulanham, from the Old English personal name “Fulla”, and “hamm”, meaning land essentially enclosed by a bend in a river.
The church of All Saints was originally built in the early Medieval period, rebuilt after having been damaged in the Peasants’ Revolt in 1381, and rebuilt again in 1880-81. The tower dates to around 1440.
In the churchyard lie buried, among others, no fewer than ten Bishops of London. The then Bishop of London, Waldhere, had acquired land in Fulham in the eighth century, and a later Bishop had built a palace here in the eleventh.