Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
Barnes was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Berne, from the Old English “bere-aern”, meaning barn.
The church of St Mary was originally built in the early Medieval period, extended in the later Medieval to post-Medieval, and again in the nineteenth to early twentieth centuries, and substantially rebuilt in the late twentieth, following a fire in 1978. The tower dates to the fifteenth century.
A surviving Norman archway near the south door dates to the early twelfth century …
… and three Early Gothic lancet windows in the chancel to the thirteenth.
The oldest surviving brass memorial dates to 1508.
Faint traces of wall paintings from the twelfth to fourteenth centuries came to light after the fire of 1978.