Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
East Barnet was first recorded in c. 1275 as Est Barnet. Barnet itself was first recorded in c. 1070 as Barneto, from the Old English baernet, meaning land cleared by burning (see also posting on Chipping Barnet on March 30th).
What is now the church of St Mary the Virgin was originally built in the eleventh century, in c. 1080 (see below). The parish and manor belonged to the Abbots of St Albans until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth. After the Dissolution, the area became home to a number of rural estates and mansions, including Church Hill House and Mount Pleasant. It began to be suburbanised after the arrival of the railway in 1849. East Barnet became incorporated into the London Borough of Barnet in 1965.
Church of St Mary the Virgin
What is now the church of St Mary the Virgin was originally built as a chapel in the eleventh century, in c. 1080, partly rebuilt and extended in the later part of the Medieval period, and further added to in the post-Medieval and early Modern (more recently, it had to be restored after sustaining bomb damage during the Second World War). Substantial parts of the church still survive from the Medieval period.