Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
Norwood Green was first recorded as such in 1724, although Norwood itself was first recorded in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 832 as Northuuda, meaning “northern wood”. Although it was incorporated into the London Borough of Ealing in 1963, the area around the green retains something of a village feel even to this day.
Church of St Mary
What is now the church of St Mary was originally built as a chapel in the twelfth century, and subsequently rebuilt in the fifteenth, around 1439, and rebuilt or restored again in the nineteenth, in 1824, in 1849 and in 1864. The earliest surviving parts are the twelfth-century north arcade and west arch; the thirteenth-century lancet windows in the nave and chancel; and the fifteenth-century nave roof, chancel arch and south doorway and porch timbers. The interior also contains a canopied tomb ascribed to Edward Cheeseman (d. 1556), and brass memorials to Francis Awsiter (d. 1614) and Matthew Hunsley (d. 1618).