Another in the series on City of London buildings that survived the Great Fire of 1666, and that still survive to this day …
The church of All Hallows Staining was originally built in around 1177, and rebuilt in the fourteenth or fifteenth century (sources differ). It was undamaged in the Great Fire. However, most of the church fell down in 1671, due to undermining of the foundations by – Plague – burials, and it had to be rebuilt in 1674-5, before being substantially demolished in 1870, when the parish was merged with St Olave Hart Street.
The fourteenth- or fifteenth- century tower still stands, thanks to the initiative of the Clothworkers’ Company, who were also responsible for restoring it in 1873. The foundations are original, twelfth-century. The crypt is also twelfth-century, although it has been transported from its original location in the chapel of St James-in-the-Wall. Two sword-rests salvaged from the church can be seen in St Olave Hart Street, a third in St Andrew Undershaft.
The church is visited on various of our walks.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Our Guided Walks” section of this web-site.
Bookings may be made through the “Contact/Booking” section of the web-site, or by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).