Another in the series on City of London buildings that survived the Great Fire of 1666, and that still survive to this day …
The church of St Katharine Cree was originally built in the grounds of Holy Trinity Priory in around 1280-1303, and rebuilt between 1500-4, in the Late Gothic style, and again between 1628-31, this time in the Renaissance style. It was undamaged by the Great Fire, although later requiring restoration in 1878-79, and again, after being damaged in the Blitz, between 1956-62.
The tower dates to 1500-4, the porch to 1628-31, and the gateway to the churchyard, on Mitre Street, by William Avenon, to 1631.
The interior contains some Late Gothic elements, such as the east window, in the form of an elaborately stylised Katharine Wheel, and the intricately ribbed ceiling; and some Renaissance ones, such as the Corinthian columns in the nave.
It also contains monuments to Sir Nicholas Throkmorton (d. 1570) and Sir John Gayer (d. 1649), a marble font of around 1631, and a Father Smith organ of 1686, once played by Handel and Purcell (as well as some memorial plaques and a reredos salvaged from St James Duke’s Place).
The church is the home of the “Lion Sermons”, given each year on or around October 16th in remembrance of the aforementioned Merchant Adventurer of the Levant Company and former Mayor Sir John Gayer being spared by a lion in Syria on that day in 1643.
It has associations from that same Civil War period with the Royalist cause, and even contains a wooden statue of Charles I, depicted as a martyr and saint.
Archbishop William Laud, who reconsecrated the church in 1631, was executed in 1645 for his support of Charles, his High Church views, and his persecution of Puritans.
The church is visited on various of our walks.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Our Guided Walks” section of this web-site.
Bookings may be made through the “Contact/Booking” section of the web-site, or by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).