The last in the series on City of London buildings that survived the Great Fire of 1666, and that still survive to this day …
The Guildhall was originally built sometime before 1128, possibly on the site of an even older building, where the Saxons held their “Husting”, or indoor assembly; and subsequently substantially rebuilt between 1298-1356, and rebuilt again, by the Master Mason John Croxton, between 1411-30.
It was damaged in the Great Fire, and repaired in the aftermath, only to be badly damaged by bombing in the Blitz, and repaired again after that. The lower levels of the walls – up to the level of the clerestorey – still survive from the Medieval period, as do some of the original windows, made from slivers of horn, and the crypts. The porch, though, is a later, eighteenth-century addition, by Dance, in a bizarre style described as Hindoo Gothic. Inside, the famous statues of the mythical giants Gog and Magog replace two sets of earlier ones, the first destroyed in the Great Fire, and the second in the Blitz.
It is visited on various of our walks.
Further details of all our walks are available in the “Our Guided Walks” section of this web-site.
Bookings may be made through the “Contact/Booking” section of the web-site, or by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).