Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
Bromley was first recorded in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 862 as Bromleag, from the Old English brom, meaning broom, and leah, meaning a woodland clearing. From the ninth to the nineteenth centuries, the manor was owned by the Bishops of Rochester, who in the eleventh century built a manor house here, known as Bromley Palace (demolished in 1775). Bromley received its first charter for a weekly market in 1205, and its second in 1447, and remains an important market town to this day. The town was incorporated into the London Borough of Bromley in 1965.
Church of St Peter and St Paul (Bromley Parish Church)
The church of St Peter and St Paul was originally built at least as long ago as 1226, and subsequently rebuilt in 1327, again in 1824-30, and yet again in 1957 (after having sustained bomb damage during the “Bromley Blitz” in 1941).
Essentially only the tower still survives of the Medieval church, although there are also some salvaged Medieval to post-Medieval memorials in the interior of the present one.