Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
Totteridge was first recorded in the twelfth century as Taderege, from the Old English personal name Tada, and hrycg, meaning ridge (between the valleys of the Dollis and Folly brooks). By the thirteenth century, it was an established hamlet, in a manor that had been owned by the Abbots or Bishops of Ely since the tenth, and that remained so until the Reformation of the sixteenth. In the post-Medieval period, it became a popular site for the building of country retreats. Despite some further development following the arrival of the Great Northern Railway in nearby Barnet in the late nineteenth century, Totteridge retains something of a rural character to this day. Technically, it is now part of the London Borough of Barnet.
Totteridge Church was probably originally built at least as long ago as the mid-thirteenth century, at which time it was dedicated to St Etheldreda or Audrey. It was subsequently substantially rebuilt in the early eighteenth century, and again in the late eighteenth, in 1789, by which time it had come to be dedicated to St Andrew (possibly as the result of an erroneous transcription of Audrey as Andrew). The nave still contains much Medieval masonry.
The yew tree in the churchyard is believed to be over a thousand years old.