On this day in 1621, the Fortune Theatre, built by “Good Master” Edward Alleyn in 1600, burnt down.
The site of the theatre is marked by a plaque on Fortune Street.
Both the theatre and Alleyn are commemorated in a stained glass window in the church of St Giles Cripplegate.
Readers interested in further information on the theatre and on the contemporary scene are referred to Julian Bowsher’s excellent recent book entitled “Shakespeare’s London Theatreland” (Museum of London Archaeology, 2012).
London’s Elizabethan, Jacobean and Restoration theatre scene is also discussed, and a number of associated sites, although not that of the “Fortune”, are visited, on various of our walks, including the “Tudor and Stuart London” themed special.
Further details of all our walks are available in the Our Guided Walks section of this web-site.
Bookings may be made through the “Contact/Booking” section of the web-site, or by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).