Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
Hanworth was evidently first settled in Saxon times, and during the reign of Edward the Confessor in the early eleventh century the manor was held by one of the king’s “huscarls”, Ulf.
However, it was first recorded in Norman Domesday Book of 1086, as Haneworth, from the Old English personal name Hana, and worth, meaning enclosed settlement. At this time, the manor was owned by Roger de Montgomerie, one of William the Conqueror’s principal counsellors. By the later Medieval period, it had come to be owned by Sir Nicholas Brembre, sometime Lord Mayor of London, executed for treason in 1387.
By the post-Medieval period, the manor was Crown property, owned by King Henry VIII and various of his wives, and after the King’s death, by his daughter, the Princess and later Queen Elizabeth.
The Hanworth Farms Estate was built here at the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, by William Whiteley, owner of the famous department store in Bayswater. Hanworth Airport opened here in 1929, and closed in 1946, shortly after Heathrow was built nearby.
Historically part of Middlesex, Hanworth is now part of the London Borough of Hounslow.
Church of St George
The church of St George was originally built in the late thirteenth century, and subsequently rebuilt in 1812, and extended in 1865, when the chancel and spire were added by S.S. Teulon. The rebuilt church incorporates some stonework from the original (in the west wall). The church’s first rector was Adam de Brome, who founded Oriel College, Oxford, in 1309.
The post-Medieval and later manor house was substantially destroyed by a fire in 1797, with essentially only the stable block surviving, as a block of flats (“Tudor Court”).
Hanworth Park House
Hanworth Park House was built as a replacement in 1820, and is currently derelict.