35 – Cheapside
First recorded – as Westceap – in c. 1100, although evidently already in existence earlier. Takes its name from the Old English ceap, meaning market.
36 – 80B Cheapside
The site of the Cheapside Conduit, a part of the Medieval water supply system.
37 – Ironmonger Lane
The site of the birthplace of Thomas Becket.
38 – Old Jewry
Takes its name from the Jewish community established hereabouts in the late eleventh to twelfth centuries, and expelled in the thirteenth.
The site of a number of synagogues, and of the discovery of the remains of ritual baths or mikva’ot.
39 – Guildhall Yard
The site of the Medieval Guildhall, built by Master Mason John Croxton between 1411-30. Also of Blackwell Hall, the centre of the important wool trade.
40 –Aldermanbury Square
The site of the Aldermanbury Conduit, another part of the Medieval water supply system.
41 – Ruins of St Alphage London Wall
Originally a chapel attached to Elsing Spital, a – priory – hospital specialising in the treatment of blind persons. Became a parish church after the Dissolution.
42 – St Alphage Gardens
The site of a section of city wall. The lower part is Roman; the middle – stone – part, thirteenth-century; the upper – brick – part fifteenth-century.
43 – Noble Street
The site of another section of city wall.
The prominent bastions to the north are thirteenth-century.
44 – St Mary-le-Bow, or Bow Church, Cheapside
Originally built in c. 1077-87, by Archbishop Lanfranc. Rebuilt in 1091, 1196 and 1271 (and again after the Great Fire and after the Blitz). The crypt survives from the eleventh century.
45 – Site of Cheapside Cross, Cheapside/Wood Street
Built by Edward I to commemorate his queen, Eleanor of Castile, who died in 1290.
46 – St Paul’s Churchyard
The site of Paul’s Cross, built in c. 1191, and used as a sort of open-air pulpit in the Middle Ages.
47 – St Paul’s Cathedral
“Old” St Paul’s was built beginning in 1087 by Bishop Maurice, and extended in succeeding centuries, before being burned down in the Great Fire of 1666 (image, Museum of London).
The outline of the fourteenth-century Chapter House may be made out to the south of the present building.
48 – Wardrobe Place, off Carter Lane
The site of the Royal Wardrobe, built during the reign of Edward III in c. 1361, and burned down in the Great Fire of 1666.
49 – St Andrew’s Hill
The site of the First Baynard’s Castle, built by Ralph Baynard in the late eleventh century, and demolished in the early thirteenth (after the baronial conspiracy against King John in 1212). Blackfriars Priory was built on the site in 1278.
50 – Ireland Yard
The site of some surviving remains from Blackfriars Priory, dissolved in 1538, and substantially destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. Probably part of the Provincial Prior’s house.
51 – Queen Victoria Street
The site of the Second Baynard’s Castle, built in 1338, rebuilt in 1428, and burned down in the Great Fire of 1666. The London Headquarters of the House of York during the Wars of the Roses.