Another in the series on historic churches in the City of London …
By the time of the Great Fire of London in 1666, there were over a hundred parish churches and other places of Christian worship within and immediately without the walls of the City, despite a number having been closed down during the Reformation. To be precise, according to Parish Clerks’ records, there were 97 churches within the walls of the City, and 16 without, making a total of 113.
All Hallows Lombard Street (“H” on sixteenth-century “Agas” map/Map of Early Modern London) was originally built sometime between 1052-1070, and rebuilt between 1516 and 1544.
The church was subsequently burned down in the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren in 1686-94, only to be allowed to fall into disrepair, and declared an unsafe structure and demolished in 1938-39, when the parish was merged with St Edmund.
It is one of the twenty-one lost Wren churches.
Only parish boundary markers survive at its former site.
Some of the fabric and furnishings survive in the church of All Hallows in Twickenham, including the rebuilt tower.