Another in the series on historic churches in the City of London …
By the time of the Great Fire of London in 1666, there were over a hundred parish churches and other places of Christian worship within and immediately without the walls of the City, despite a number having been closed down during the Reformation. To be precise, according to Parish Clerks’ records, there were 97 churches within the walls of the City, and 16 without, making a total of 113.
St John Zachary (“17” on sixteenth-century “Agas” map/Map of Early Modern London) was originally built at least as long ago as the twelfth century, the oldest record of it being from 1181, and subsequently rebuilt in the late fourteenth, and enlarged in the early seventeenth. Stow described it as “a fair church, with the monuments well preserved”. These included those to “Sir Nicholas Twiford, goldsmith, mayor 1388, and Dame Marjery his wife, of whose goods the church was made and new built, with a tomb for them, and others of their race, 1390”, and to “Drugo Barentine, mayor 1398”, another goldsmith. James Pemberton, yet another goldsmith, mayor in 1611, was buried here in 1613, after Stow’s time. Here, too, was interred the body of John Sutton, alderman, who was killed on London Bridge during Jack Cade’s rebellion of 1450.
The church was burned down in the Great Fire of 1666 and never rebuilt, its former parish merging with that of St Anne and St Agnes.
A Corporation “Blue Plaque” marks the site of the church.
The former churchyard survives, as a city garden provided by the Goldsmiths’ Company.