Another in the series on the historic churches of the out-parishes of London …
By the time of the Great Fire of London in 1666, there were over a hundred parish churches and other places of Christian worship within and immediately without the walls of the City. There were a further twelve in the out-parishes of Middlesex (north of the river) and Surrey (south of the river).
Hackney Church was originally built sometime before 1275, possibly on the site of an older, Norman or even Saxon church. It was originally dedicated to St Augustine, but subsequently rededicated to St John sometime between 1660 and 1790. Edward de Vere, the Seventeenth Earl of Oxford, is thought to have been buried here in 1604, after having died, possibly of the Plague, at nearby King’s Place.
The church was substantially demolished between 1797-98, after a new church dedicated to St John was built nearby. Of the original church, only the tower survives.