Another in the series on historic secular buildings of London …
Rotherhithe was first recorded as Rederheia in around 1105, and takes is name from the Old English “redhra”, meaning mariner, and “hyth”, meaning landing place. It appears to have been a small settlement surrounding the church of St Mary in the Medieval period, when Edward III had a retreat on the river here.
The remains of the retreat still survive, near King’s Stairs.
A Museum of London Archaeology monograph describes in detail the findings of recent archaeological excavations at Medieval sites in Rotherhithe (Blatherwick & Bluer, 2009). Another investigates the later, maritime history of the area, based on the findings of excavations at Pacific Wharf (Heard & Goodburn, 2003).