London’s Inns of Court
The right of Englishmen to trial by jury was established in the late twelfth century, and codified in the Magna Carta in the early thirteenth; and the right to legal counsel and representation, by attorneys (solicitors) and pleaders before court (barristers), at the turn of the thirteenth and fourteenth.
Formal training of pleaders before court, in the so-called Inns of Court, strategically situated between the Cities of London to the east and Westminster to the west, began in the fourteenth century.
The Inns of Court of the Inner and Middle Temple were founded in the early fourteenth century, on a site south of Fleet Street that had been occupied by the Knights Templar up until the time of their suppression in 1307. No Medieval buildings remain standing on the site today, although the post-Medieval Inner Temple Gate-House and Middle Temple Hall do.
Gray’s Inn was founded…
View original post 534 more words