Tag Archives: All Hallows Lombard Street

All Hallows Lombard Street

Another in the series on historic churches in the City of London …

By the time of the Great Fire of London in 1666, there were over a hundred parish churches and other places of Christian worship within and immediately without the walls of  the City, despite a number having been closed down during the Reformation. To be precise, according to  Parish Clerks’ records, there were 97 churches within the walls of the City, and 16 without, making a total of 113.

ahls

All Hallows Lombard Street (“H” on sixteenth-century “Agas” map/Map of Early Modern London) was originally built sometime between 1052-1070, and rebuilt between 1516 and 1544.

Hallows_lombard_godwin

The church was subsequently burned down   in the Great Fire of 1666,  and rebuilt by Wren in 1686-94, only to be allowed to fall into disrepair, and declared an unsafe structure and demolished in 1938-39, when the parish was merged with St Edmund.

Lost Wren Churches

It  is one of the twenty-one lost Wren churches.

All Hallows Lombard Street (1)

Only parish boundary markers survive at its former site.

All Hallows Twickenham

Some of the fabric and furnishings survive in the church of All Hallows in  Twickenham, including the rebuilt tower.

Lost Wren churches – St Dionis Backchurch

Another in the  occasional series on churches built by Wren after the Great Fire of 1666 that have been lost  since …

St Dionis BackchurchSt Dionis Backchurch was originally built at the turn of the eleventh and twelfth centuries, on the south-eastern corner of the Roman Basilica and Forum, and using robbed Roman building materials, and added to in the sixteenth and early seventeenth. It was burnt down in the  Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren, in 1670-86, only to be demolished in 1878, when the parish was merged with All Hallows Lombard Street. A Corporation “Blue Plaque” marks its former site.

St Dionis Backchurch plaqueThe salvaged communion table, font and pulpit also survive, in the church of St Dionis in Parsons Green.  A “squirt”, or fire extinguisher, from the vestry  can be seen in the Museum of London.

Dionis, or more properly Denys, is the patron saint of France, who was beheaded after attempting  to convert Paris to Christianity in the  third century.  The church on, or rather just off, Fenchurch Street dedicated to him became commonly  designated  “backchurch”; that dedicated to St Gabriel,  “forechurch”.

St Dionis Backchurch parish boundary marker

St Dionis Backchurch parish boundary marker

 

Lost Wren Churches – St Benet Gracechurch

Another in the occasional series on churches built by Wren after the Great Fire of 1666 that have been lost  since …

St Benet GracechurchSt Benet Gracechurch was originally built sometime before 1291, burnt down  in the  Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren in 1681-7, only to be demolished, to allow for road-widening, in 1867-8, when the parish was merged with All Hallows Lombard Street.  A Corporation “Blue Plaque” marks  its former site.  The salvaged seventeenth-century pulpit survives in St Olave Hart Street.

St Benet Gracechurch plaque

St Benet Gracechurch and All Hallows Lombard Street parish boundary markers

St Benet Gracechurch and All Hallows Lombard Street parish boundary markers