Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
Edmonton, situated just south of Enfield, was first recorded in the “Domesday Book” of 1086 as Adelmetone, from the Old English personal name Eadhelm and tun, meaning farmstead or estate. It remained essentially rural until the middle of the nineteenth century, when Upper and Lower Edmonton became linked by ribbon development along Fore Street. (Sub)urbanisation took off after the arrival of the railway in 1872.
Church of All Saints
The church of All Saints was originally built here in the twelfth century (*), and subsequently rebuilt in Kentish Ragstone in the fifteenth to early sixteenth. The north side was refaced in stock brick in the eighteenth century, and the south aisle was added in the nineteenth.
Some of the stonework from the twelfth-century church has been preserved in the present one. There are also some fine post-Medieval and later memorials in the church. Charles and Mary Lamb, the authors of “Tales from Shakespeare”, first published in 1807, are buried in the churchyard.
(*) There is a document dated between 1136-1142 recording it being given by the Lord of the Manor, Geoffrey de Mandeville, to Walden Abbey.