Tag Archives: Henry FitzAlywn

The Lord Mayor’s Show

Today, Saturday 14th November 2015, is the day of the annual Lord Mayor (of the City of London)’s Show.

Statue of Henry FitzAlywn, first Lord Mayor of London

Richard I appointed the  first (Lord) Mayor of London, Henry Fitz-Ailwyn de Londonestone, in effect to run the City,  in 1189; and John granted the City the right to elect its own Mayor in 1215 (the “Mayoral Charter” is now in the Guildhall Heritage Gallery).  The prestige of the position was such that the by-then Mayor, William Hardell,  was invited by John to be  a witness to the sealing of, and an Enforcer or Surety of, the Magna Carta, later in 1215.  Magna Carta granted the City of London “all its ancient liberties and free customs, both by land and by water”.  In exchange, the Crown required that, each year, the newly elected  Lord Mayor present himself or herself at court to ceremonially “show” his or her allegiance.  This  event eventually became the Lord Mayor’s Show we know today.  Interestingly, the  associated parade of the mayor and his or her entourage, from the City to  Westminster, used to take place  on the Feast of St Simon and St Jude, on October 28th, whereas now it takes place on the second Saturday in November.  The parade also used to take place on the water, whereas now it takes place  on land – although we still call the mobile stages “floats”.  It travels, accompanied by much pomp, from the Lord Mayor’s official residence, Mansion House,  past St Paul’s Cathedral, to the Royal Courts of Justice, where the Cities of London and Westminster meet.

Statue of Henry FitzAlywn, first Lord Mayor of London

Statue of the first Lord Mayor, Henry FitzAlywn de Londonestone – looking down at us from Holborn Viaduct

St Swithin London Stone

St SwithinThe last in the series on churches built by Wren after the Great Fire of 1666 that have been lost  since …

St Swithin London Stone was originally built sometime before 1291.  It was burnt down  in the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren in 1677-86, using materials from St Mary Bothaw, only to be  severely damaged by bombing in 1941, and subsequently demolished in 1957. John Dryden was married to Lady Elizabeth Howard in the church in 1663.  

St Swithin London Stone parish boundary marker

St Swithin London Stone parish boundary marker

Essentially only the so-called “London Stone” that was built into the south wall of the church in 1798 still survives at the site, as stipulated in the conditions for its redevelopment (see below for additional information on the London Stone).  There are parish boundary markers on Cannon Street and in Oxford Court (and another just off  Walbrook).  

St Swithin’s Church Garden also survives,  between Salters Hall Court and Oxford Court (and near where Henry Fitz-Ailwyn or FitzAlywn de Londonestone, the first Lord Mayor of London between 1189-1213, once lived).   The pulpit of 1682 salvaged from the church is now in All Hallows Barking.  Swithin was Bishop of Winchester in the ninth century.

St Swithun's church garden

St Swithun’s church garden

The London Stone 

London Stone (in there somewhere)

London Stone (in there somewhere)

In the Medieval period, “The London Stone” stood in the middle of the street, as indicated on the map of 1520, and on the “Agas” one of 1561-70, and was apparently used as a place from which to make important public pronouncements, being evidently richly endowed with  symbolic significance.   Its recorded history extends as far back as the twelfth century, when the first Lord Mayor of London, from 1189-1213, was one Henry Fitz-Ailwyn or FitzAlywn de Londonestone; and it  is possible, although not proven, that before that, it  was associated in some way with  the Roman Governor’s Palace complex that once stood nearby, and now forms part of a Scheduled Ancient Monument substantially under Cannon Street Station.  Indeed, according to one of many romantic myths surrounding the stone, it was the very one from which King Arthur drew the Sword Excalibur, and possessed magic powers; and according to another, it was the one Brutus used to mark the city of Troia Nova, and “So long as the Stone of Brutus is safe, so long will London flourish”.  As Hollis put it, “We will never know [its true origin], and perhaps that is as it should be”.

London Stone

London Stone

The site of St Swithin Londonstone is visited on our “Lost Wren churches” themed special.

Further details of all our walks are available in the “Guided Walks” section of this web-site.

Bookings may be made through the “Contact/Booking” section of the web-site, by e-mail (lostcityoflondon@sky.com), or by phone (020-8998-3051).

The Lord Mayor’s Show

Yesterday, Saturday 8th November, was the day of the annual Lord Mayor (of the City of London)’s Show.

Statue of Henry FitzAlywn, first Lord Mayor of London

The first Lord Mayor, Henry FitzAlywn de Londonestone, was appointed by Richard I as long ago as 1189.  The prestige of the position was such that John invited a later, and by then elected,  Lord Mayor, William Hardel, to be a signatory to the Magna Carta in 1215.  Magna Carta granted the City of London “all its ancient liberties and free customs, both by land and by water”.  In exchange, the Crown required that, each year, the newly elected  Lord Mayor present himself or herself at court to ceremonially “show” his or her allegiance (last year’s mayor was a woman, for only the second time).  This  event eventually became the Lord Mayor’s Show we know today.

Interestingly, the  associated parade of the mayor and his or her entourage, from the City to  Westminster, used to take place on the Feast of St Simon and St Jude, on October 28th, whereas now it takes place on the second Saturday in November.  The parade also used to take place on the water, whereas now it takes place  on land – although we still call the mobile stages “floats”.  It travels, accompanied by much pomp, from the Lord Mayor’s official residence, Mansion House,  past St Paul’s Cathedral, to the Royal Courts of Justice, where the Cities of London and Westminster meet.

Statue of Henry FitzAlywn, first Lord Mayor of London

Statue of the first Lord Mayor, Henry FitzAlywn de Londonestone – looking down at us from Holborn Viaduct

The Lord Mayor’s Show

9th November 2013 – Today is the day of the – 798th! – annual Lord Mayor (of the City of London)’s Show.

Statue of Henry FitzAlywn, first Lord Mayor of London

Statue of the first Lord Mayor, Henry FitzAlywn de Londonestone – looking down at us from Holborn Viaduct

The first Lord Mayor, Henry FitzAlywn de Londonestone, was appointed by Richard I as long ago as 1189.  The prestige of the position was such that John invited a later, and by then elected,  Lord Mayor, William Hardel,  to be  a signatory to the Magna Carta in 1215.  Magna Carta granted the City of London “all its ancient liberties and free customs, both by land and by water”.  In exchange, the Crown required that, each year, the newly elected  Lord Mayor present himself or herself at court to ceremonially “show” his or her allegiance (this year’s mayor is a woman, for only the second time).  This  event eventually became the Lord Mayor’s Show we know today.  Interestingly, the  associated parade of the mayor and his or her entourage, from the City to  Westminster, used to take place  on the Feast of St Simon and St Jude, on October 28th, whereas now it takes place on the second Saturday in November.  The parade also used to take place on the water, whereas now it takes place  on land – although we still call the mobile stages “floats”.  It travels, accompanied by much pomp, from the Lord Mayor’s official residence, Mansion House,  past St Paul’s Cathedral, to the Royal Courts of Justice, where the Cities of London and Westminster meet.

For more information on the Lord Mayor’s show, here’s a link to the official website

http://www.lordmayorsshow.org/procession/

For further information on William Hardel and the Magna Carta Barons, have a look at this web page

http://www.magnacartabarons.info/william-hardel

And for further information on the Magna Carta – and the plans to celebrate the 800th Anniversary of Magna Carta in 2015, have a look at

http://magnacarta800th.com/