Tag Archives: Newington

A Latter-Day Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury contd. – Rochester to Faversham

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas (a) Becket was murdered in Canterbury Cathedral on Tuesday 29th December, 1170 (by knights acting on what they had interpreted as an instruction from the  King, Henry II).  The site became an important one of pilgrimage throughout the later Middle Ages (the penitent Henry making the journey barefoot in 1174, the year after Thomas was made a saint).  The practice of pilgrimage ceased after the Reformation and Dissolution under Henry VIII in the sixteenth century, but may be said to have resumed in later  centuries.  Research published by the Chaucer Society in the nineteenth century suggests that the route taken by pilgrims from London to Canterbury ran more less along the line of the old Roman road of Watling Street – or its modern equivalent, the A2 – through Dartford, Rochester and Faversham (note in this context that Rochester is mentioned in the Monk’s prologue, Sittingbourne in the Wife of Bath’s prologue, and Boughton-under-Blean, which is near Faversham, in the Canon Yeoman’s prologue, in “The Canterbury Tales”).  Further research from this time suggests that the journey along this – sixty-mile or so – route would probably have taken four days, with overnight stops at each of the three aforementioned towns (where suitable accommodation was available).  I follow in the pilgrims’  tracks …

Watling Street

From Rochester,  the old Roman road of Watling Street continues to run ESE  along the northern edge of the North Downs to Faversham (and beyond).    There is an alternative pedestrian route from Chatham to Sittingbourne by way of Gillingham and Upchurch.


Rainham Church

Medieval wall painting.jpg

Rainham was evidently founded in Saxon times,  being mentioned in a charter of 811.  Rainham Church (St Margaret of Antioch) was originally built at least as long ago as Norman times, and subsequently rebuilt in the Gothic style in the later Medieval (thirteenth through fifteenth centuries).  It contains some fine Medieval wall paintings.


Newington was founded in Roman times, and refounded in Saxon times, its name translating from Old English as “new town”.

Newington Church

Newington Church (St Mary the Virgin) was originally built in the  eleventh century.

Newington Manor.jpg

Newington Manor dates back to the fifteenth.

Key Street

Key Street.jpg

Key Street was a small village, originally founded in the Medieval period, that has been essentially entirely lost to redevelopment.


Sittingbourne was probably originally founded in pre-Roman times, and grew considerably in size  after the Roman conquest, on account of its proximity to the main road of Watling Street, and also to an important  port  on the Swale (Milton Regis).  It then grew further in the Middle Ages, again on account of its proximity to Watling Street, which had by then become the main pilgrimage route from London to Canterbury.

Sittingbourne Church

By the thirteenth century Sittingbourne Church (St Michael) had been built, as had no fewer than thirteen hostelries on the High Street, to serve the needs of passing pilgrims.

Red Lion.jpg

The surviving  Red Lion dates back in part to  the fifteenth century.


Luddenham was probably originally founded in Saxon times, and is mentioned – albeit as Cildresham – in the Norman Domesday Book of 1086, at which time the manor was owned by Odo, Bishop of Bayeux and Earl of Kent.

Luddenham Church

Luddenham Church (St Mary) was originally built in the twelfth century.

Luddenham Court Farm.jpg

Luddenham Court Farm dates in part to  the fifteenth.

Stone Chapel

Roman mausoleum

Stone Chapel (also known as Our Lady of Elwarton) is a ruined Saxon to Medieval church on the outskirts of Ospringe.  Uniquely in England, it incorporates into its design an older Roman mausoleum that may originally have stood outside the Roman settlement of Durolevum.


Ospringe, now essentially part of Faversham, was once an entirely  separate settlement, probably dating back to the Saxon period (being mentioned in the Norman Domesday Book of 1086).  Sir John Pulteney, who went on to become the Lord Mayor of London in 1330-1331 and 1333, was once the Lord of the Manor of Ospringe.

Ospringe Church

Ospringe Church (St Peter and St Paul) dates back in part to the Norman period.


P1070334 - Copy

The Maison Dieu, a religious house and charitable hospital and hostel open to  passing pilgrims, dates back to the thirteenth century (it was commissioned by Henry III in 1234).


Faversham is thought to have been originally  founded in pre-Roman times, and may have been the site of the “lost” settlement of Durolevum, mentioned in the Antonine Itinerary, in Roman times.  It was known as Favreshant in Saxon times.

St Mary's - Copy

Faversham Church, also known as St Mary of Charity, was originally built at least as long ago as the late eleventh century, although it was subsequently substantially rebuilt, with a distinctive corona spire, with flying buttresses,  in the late eighteenth.


The interior still contains some Medieval work, including fifteenth-century carved wooden stalls and misericords salvaged from nearby Faversham Abbey  when it was dissolved in the sixteenth, and a fourteenth-century  painted stone column depicting  scenes from the life of Jesus (including, at the  top, the Crucifixion).

At least according to legend, the church also contains the remains of King Stephen and his Queen, Matilda, also salvaged  from Faversham Abbey – by way of Faversham Creek, where they were deposited when the abbey was dissolved!

Faversham Abbey Gatehouse

The Medieval gate-house and adjoining guest-house (Arden’s House) of the aforementioned Faversham Abbey   also survive, on Abbey Street.

Abbey Street

Abbey Street itself has been described as “the finest medieval street in southeast England”.




Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …

Newington  was first recorded in c. 1200  as Neuton, meaning “new homestead or farmstead”;  Newington Butts in 1558; and Newington Causeway in 1608.  The area is now very much part of Inner London.

Church of St Mary

The old church of St Mary was originally built in the area later to become known as Newington Butts probably in the Saxon period (almost certainly being that in the Manor of Walworth referred to in the Domesday Book of 1086).  According to John Aubrey’s History of Surrey (published in 1719),  it was  subsequently rebuilt, in the “modern Gothic” style, in the post-Medieval period, around 1570; extended, by Sir Hugh Brawne, in 1600; and beautified in 1704.  Part   of the wall of the church then collapsed during a service in 1714, and a later structural survey showed much of what remained standing to be unsound, such that it had to be substantially  rebuilt again in 1720-21, and yet again in 1793.  It eventually had to be demolished in 1876.  Only the churchyard still survives at the original site.  The famous playwright and poet Thomas Middleton, who died in 1627,  is buried here.

1 - General view of church

After the old church  was demolished in 1876, a new one was built a few hundred yards to the south, on Kennington Park Road, only to be  substantially destroyed in an air raid on the last night of the Blitz of the Second World War, 10th/11th May, 1941, with essentially only the tower still standing.

P1130558 - Copy

The present church was built adjacent to the tower  after the war.