Tag Archives: St Andrew Hubbard

St Andrew Hubbard

Another in the series on historic churches in the City of London …

By the time of the Great Fire of London in 1666, there were over a hundred parish churches and other places of Christian worship within and immediately without the walls of  the City, despite a number having been closed down during the Reformation. To be precise, according to  Parish Clerks’ records, there were 97 churches within the walls of the City, and 16 without, making a total of 113.

St Andrew Hubbard, Eastcheap (not individually identified on sixteenth-century “Agas” map/Map of Early Modern London) was originally built at least as long ago as 1291, being recorded in Pope Nicholas IV’s “Taxatio Ecclesiastica” of that year, and possibly as long ago as 1202,

The church was  subsequently burned  down in the Great Fire of 1666 and never rebuilt, and the parish was merged with that of St Mary-at-Hill.

St Andrew Hubbard (1) - Copy

Essentially nothing now remains of it above ground, other than parish boundary markers in Philpot Lane and Talbot Court.

Excavations in 1836 revealed that it was founded on a former Roman site.