Tag Archives: St Martin Outwich

City of London Buildings that survived the Great Fire of 1666

ChurchesOf the 97 parish churches within the walls of the City of London at the time of the Great Fire of 1666, only 8, namely, All Hallows Barking, All Hallows Staining, St Alphage, St Andrew Undershaft, St Ethelburga, St Helen, St Katharine Cree, and St Olave Hart Street, survived,  and still survive, with at least some pre-Great Fire structures standing, above ground (*).

Tower of London.JPG

Guildhall.JPG

Of the secular buildings, only the Tower of London and the Guildhall, and parts of the Merchant Taylors’ and Apothecaries’ Livery Company Halls, and of the “Olde Wine Shades” public house, still survive.

(*) A further 5 churches, namely All Hallows on the Wall, St James Duke’s Place, St Katherine Coleman, St Martin Outwich and St Peter-le-Poer, also survived  the fire but were either rebuilt or demolished afterwards.

And 84 were burnt down in the fire, of which 49 were rebuilt afterwards, and 35 were not.

Tower of London.JPG

The church of St Martin Outwich (1217)

According to John Richardson’s “Annals of London”, the first written record of the church of St Martin Outwich on Threadneedle Street dates to eight hundred years ago, to 1217.

St Martin Outwich

The church survived the Great Fire of London in 1666, but was damaged in another fire in 1765, and, although subsequently rebuilt in 1796, was eventually demolished in 1874.

Oteswich memorial (d. 1400) - Copy

At this time, the tomb of one of its  benefactors, John de Oteswich, who is thought to have died in circa 1400, was relocated to the nearby church of St Helen, Bishopsgate.

At the same time, other Medieval remains were reinterred in Ilford Cemetery, including those  of one Abigail Vaughan, who in her will had left four shillings to the parish to buy faggots to burn heretics!