Tag Archives: St Mary Aldermary

Lost Wren churches – St Antholin

Another in the occasional series on churches built by Wren after the Great Fire of 1666 that have been lost  since.

St Antholin Watling Street, also known as St Antholin Budge Row was originally built in the early twelfth century,   around 1119, at which time it was known as St Anthony’s, St Anthonine’s or similar, and subsequently  “re-edified” at the turn of the fourteenth and fifteenth, between 1399-1410, at the expense of Thomas Knowles, the sometime Mayor of London, rebuilt again in 1513, and repaired in 1616, with a  new gallery being added in 1623.

St_Antholin_Cruse

lost-wren-churches-e1413241207284

The church burned down in the  Great Fire, and was rebuilt by Wren in 1678-88, only to be demolished during the construction of Queen Victoria Street in 1874,  when the parish was merged with St Mary Aldermary.

A stone tablet that marked its former site was salvaged when the site was developed to make way for Bucklersbury House, and still survives affixed to the outside wall of the church of  St Mary Aldermary.

Spire (Sydenham)

Rather remarkably, part of the spire, which had been removed and replaced in 1829, survives on the site of the house of the man who acquired it in Sydenham.