Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
Hampton was first recorded in the “Domesday Book” of 1086 as Hamntone, from the Old English hamm and tun, meaning farmstead or estate in the bend of a river. The manor was acquired in 1236 by the Knights Hospitaller, and in 1514 by Thomas Wolsey, who took down the manor house, and put up in its place what was to become Hampton Court Palace.
The past and present village of Hampton, also known as Hampton-on-Thames, is situated around a mile upstream from the palace; Hampton Wick, a similar distance downstream. The celebrated actor David Garrick’s “Temple to Shakespeare”, built in 1756, lies on the river-front in Hampton.
Church of St Mary
The church of St Mary in Hampton was originally built at least as long ago as the early fourteenth century, and subsequently partially rebuilt in the time of Henry VIII in the early sixteenth (“having got out of repair and become unsafe”), and again in the time of Charles II in the late seventeenth, and extended in the early eighteenth.
It was essentially completely rebuilt in the early nineteenth century, between 1820-31.