Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
Monken Hadley was first recorded as such in 1489: “Hadley”, from “haeth” and “leah”, referring to a clearing in heathland; “monken”, to the one-time ownership of the manor by the Benedictine monks of Walden Abbey in Essex (after the Dissolution of the Monasteries, ownership passed to Thomas, Lord Audley). The area, of high heath-land, remains more or less rural to this day, although it is now bisected by the busy Great North Road.
Church of St Mary
The parish church of St Mary was originally built here in the twelfth century. It was subsequently rebuilt in the Late Gothic style in the fifteenth century, in 1494 (in other words, not long after – and possibly in commemoration of – the Battle of Barnet, which took place nearby in 1471); and extended in the early sixteenth.
The interior contains a number of late Medieval and post-Medieval memorials, the oldest, dating to 1442, being that to Philip Green; and perhaps the finest, dating to 1616, that to Sir Roger Wilbraham.