Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …
St Paul’s Cray was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Craie, and in 1250 as Craye Paulin, in reference to the River Cray (a tributary of the Thames), and the church dedicated to St Paulinus. It retains much of its rural riverside village character to this day, although the urban sprawl of Greater London is beginning to encroach on it from the west.
Church of St Paulinus
The church of St Paulinus was probably originally built in the Saxon period, although it has been much modified subsequently.