Tag Archives: West Wickham

West Wickham

Another in the occasional series on historical sites  on the “London Loop” (London Outer Orbital Path)  walk …

As noted in the post of July 7th, what is now known as West Wickham was first recorded in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 973 as Wic hammes gemaeru, meaning “boundary of the homestead associated with the vicus”; and later as Wicheham in the Domesday Book of 1086, as Wicham in 1231, and as Westwycham in 1284.  It was clearly settled at least as long ago as Roman times, but remained sparsely populated until after the arrival of the railway in 1882.  Even to this day, it retains something of a rural character, especially to the south.  Note, though, that is is technically part of the London Borough of Bromley.

distant-view-of-the-church-on-the-hill.jpg

approach-and-fifteenth-century-lych-gate.jpg

The church of St John (the Baptist) was probably originally built here in the Saxon period,  rebuilt in the later Medieval, and rebuilt again in the early Post-Medieval, in the reign of Henry VII (1485-1509), by Sir Henry Heydon, a lawyer and Justice of the Peace, who married  Anne Boleyn, the great-aunt of the future queen of the same name.   There are some surviving Medieval to Post-Medieval memorials in the interior, including one to William de Thorp, a one-time rector (d. 1407), and another to Sir Samuel Lennard (d. 1618), another  lawyer and Justice of the Peace (also a Member of Parliament), and the husband of Elizabeth Slayne (daughter of Sir Stephen Slayne, another one-time Lord Mayor of London).

stained-glass-window-believed-to-depict-sir-henry-heydon-as-a-skeleton

There are also some particularly fine stained-glass windows, believed to be by Anglo-Flemish artists.

wickham-court.jpg

A manor house was built here in the early Medieval period, and rebuilt in the late, between 1469-1480, also by Sir Henry Heydon.  In the   Post-Medieval period, it entered the possession of the Lennard family.  In 1935, it was sold and adapted for use as a hotel, and it is currently  a preparatory school, named  Wickham Court.  Some original features survive.

West Wickham Common Earthworks

Another in the occasional series on historical sites  on the “London Loop” (London Outer Orbital Path)  walk …

West Wickham Common Earthworks

What is now known as West Wickham was first recorded in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 973 as Wic hammes gemaeru, meaning “boundary of the homestead associated with the vicus [Romano-British settlement]”.  It was clearly settled at least as long ago as Roman times, and lay on the Roman road from Lewes in Sussex to London.

IMG_1356 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

The impressive earthworks on West Wickham Common have been interpreted by some as the remains of an Iron Age “hill fort” (and by others as post-Medieval).

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

The much more degraded earthworks on  nearby Keston Common have also been interpreted by some as Iron Age.

West Wickham

Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …

West Wickham was first recorded as Wichema mearcae in an Anglo-Saxon Charter of 862 (and as Westwycham – in contra-distinction to Estwycham – in 1284).  The name is thought to refer to the boundary (maerc) of a homestead or village (ham) associated with an earlier Romano-British settlement or vicus (wic).  The earliest settlement in the area would indeed appear to have been along the  Roman road running from London to Lewes.  Despite some development following the arrival of the railway in the late nineteenth century, West Wickham retains something of a rural character  to this day, especially to the south.  Technically, it is now part of the London Borough of Bromley.

Church of St John

distant-view-of-the-church-on-the-hill

approach-and-fifteenth-century-lych-gate

The church of St John was probably originally built here in the Saxon period, and rebuilt in the later Medieval, and again in the early Post-Medieval, in the reign of Henry VII (1485-1509), by Sir Henry Heydon, a lawyer and Justice of the Peace, and the husband of Anne Boleyn (daughter of Sir Geoffrey Boleyn, a one-time Lord Mayor of London, and great-grandfather of Queen Anne Boleyn).

There are some surviving Medieval to Post-Medieval memorials in the interior, including one to William de Thorp, a one-time rector (d. 1407), and another to Sir Samuel Lennard (d. 1618), another  lawyer and Justice of the Peace (also a Member of Parliament), and the husband of Elizabeth Slayne (daughter of Sir Stephen Slayne, another one-time Lord Mayor of London).

stained-glass-window-believed-to-depict-sir-henry-heydon-as-a-skeleton

There are also some particularly fine stained-glass windows, believed to be by Anglo-Flemish artists.

Wickham Court

wickham-court

The manor house now known as Wickham Court was probably also originally built here in the Saxon period, and rebuilt with fortifications in the later Medieval, sometime between  1469 and 1480, also by Sir Henry Heydon.  In the Post-Medieval period, it entered the possession of the Lennard family.  In 1935, it was sold and adapted for use as a hotel, and it is currently  a preparatory school.