Tag Archives: Wulfned

Southall

Another in the occasional series on “Far-Flung Lost London” …

Southall was first recorded in 1198 as Suhaull, meaning, in Old English, southern (suth) nook of land (halh) (in contra-distinction to Northolt).  The surrounding area remained essentially rural and sparsely populated until the nineteenth century, and the coming of the railway.  Southall is now a bustling western suburb of London, with a large proportion of persons of south Asian extraction among its population.

Southall Manor and Manor House

Southall Manor was bequeathed to Wulfned, Archbishop of Canterbury, in 830.

P1220723 - Copy.JPG

P1220729 - Copy.JPG

Southall Manor House dates in part to the sixteenth century.